Frankie recovered and thrived, and she kept rolling with a custom-fit wheelchair. Her story is told in a unique picture book for children, Frankie the Walk 'n Roll Dog. This book was awarded the 2008 National Best Book Award (children’s picture book soft cover) by USA Book News, the Merial Human-Animal Bond Award by Dog Writer’s Association of America, and the Editor’s Choice Award by Allbooks Review. It was also a finalist in the 2008 Indie Excellence Awards. Frankie herself was inducted into the 2009 Wisconsin Pet Hall of Fame.
Barbara has written: "I absolutely believe animals were put on this earth to awaken us and teach us what life is truly about ... When Frankie ruptured a disk in her back in 2006 ...I struggled ... letting sorrow, at first, take over. As Frankie began to heal, I realized she was still the same Frankie even though she was now paralyzed. She did not let her physical handicap get in the way of being the same sweet dog she was before her accident. Realizing the opportunity to share this lesson with others, I wrote Frankie’s life story. It is told by Frankie herself, through me, her loving human mom."
Children love this book, and it resonates with dog lovers, families of kids with disabilities, and book lovers of all ages.
Please join us in June for Barbara and Frankie's virtual book tour! Throughout the month of June, authors, bloggers, parents, and animal experts will share their book reviews, interviews with Barbara, and other contributions.
There will be a SPECIAL OFFER FOR VISITORS TO THE VIRTUAL BLOG TOUR. Each guest who comments on a post in Barbara and Frankie's tour will be entered in a drawing for some fun, unique gifts that will especially appeal to Frankie fans and other dog lovers. We will give away several items from Frankie's store. These include two Frankie t-shirts and two Frankie tote bags.
We may also have a few more great bloggers joining this tour, so stay tuned for updates!
- Mon, June 1 -- Author, mom, and disability advocate Elizabeth at a moon worn as if it were a shell (http://elizabethaquino.blogspot.com) publishes Barb's guest post exploring how to help siblings and friends understand kids who have disabilities.
- Tue, June 2 -- Veterinarian Dr. Kim Bloomer and her mastiff Shadrach posts Shadrach's interview with Frankie at Bark 'n Blog (http://www.bark-n-blog.com).
- Wed, June 3 -- Ellen publishes her interview with Barbara at To the Max (http://www.lovethatmax.blogspot.com), where she writes about parenting and life, including her beautiful son who has cerebral palsy.
- Thu, June 4 -- Alicia at Welcome to My Planet (http://www.welcometomyplanet4.blogspot.com) posts her book review. Alicia is an author and blogger who explores many things through her writing, including parenting kids who are on the autism spectrum.
- Fri, June 5 -- Book blogger Cheryl Koch posts her review at Cheryl's Book Nook (http://cherylsbooknook.blogspot.com).
- Mon, June 8 -- Writer and dog trainer Charlotte Mielziner posts her interview with Barbara at Children's Dog Books (http://www.childrensdogbooks.blogspot.com).
- Tue, June 9 -- Dawn Kairns at Maggie, the Dog Who Changed My Life (http://maggiethedogwhochangedmylife.blogspot.com) publishes Barb's guest post, exploring how Barbara's relationship with Frankie changed her life.
- Wed, June 10 -- Author and book blogger Margay Roberge posts her review and interview at Moonlight, Lace and Mayhem
- Thu, June 11 -- Margay Roberge posts her review and guest post at Margay Leah Justice (http://margayleahjustice.com).
AND Alicia at Welcome to My Planet (http://www.welcometomyplanet4.blogspot.com) shares Barbara's guest post.
- Fri, June 12 -- Paige posts her review at Nurse Mommy (http://www.thenursemommy.com).
- Mon, June 15 -- Kyra at This Mom (http://kyraanderson.wordpress.com) posts her review. Kyra is a mom and writer who explores the joy and challenges of motherhood and raising an amazing son with Asperger's Syndrome.
- Tue, June 16 -- Yael Cohen posts a presentation at Get IEP Help (http://www.getiephelp.com), where she offers assistance with navigating the special education maze.
- Wed, June 17 -- Nikki Leigh posts an interview with Frankie (the heroine of the story) at Fictional Characters in Depth (http://www.blogcatalog.com/blog/fictional-characters-in-depth).
- Thu, June 18 -- Mom and book blogger Julie Peterson posts her review at Booking Mama (http://bookingmama.blogspot.com/).
- Fri, June 20 -- Julie Peterson at Booking Mama (http://bookingmama.blogspot.com/) publishes a guest post by Barbara.
- Mon, June 22 -- Stephanie Ward publishes her review at Laughing Stars (http://laughingstars.homeschooljournal.net). Stephanie is a homeschooler, bibliophile, and mom of kids with "special needs"
- Tue, June 23 -- Christine posts her review at Day Sixty-Seven (http://daysixtyseven.blogspot.com), where she writes about parenting and raising a child on the autism spectrum.
- Wed, June 24 -- Author and book lover Christine Verstraete at Candid Canine (http://candidcanine.blogspot.com) posts her review.
- Thu, June 25 -- Author Yvonne Perry shares her review with Barbara at Writers in the Sky Podcast and Blog (http://yvonneperry.blogspot.com), where she shares a wealth of information about writing, publishing and book promotion.
- Fri, June 26 -- Stephanie Ward publishes Barbara and Frankie's interview with her children at Laughing Stars (http://laughingstars.homeschooljournal.net).
- Mon, June 29 -- Rashmi at Mommy Reviewed (http://mommyreviewed.blogspot.com) shares a guest post by Barbara.
- Tue, June 30 -- Barb answers questions on Nikki Leigh's radio program (http://www.blogtalkradio.com/nikkileigh).
Frankie the Walk 'n Roll Dog at Amazon.com
Also Check Out http://www.joyfulpaws.typepad.com/